Bulk transaction move

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:08:15 EST 2014

On 12/26/2014 3:59 PM, David wrote:
> Tools that allow bulk editing start with a more flexible GUI than GnuCash.  Think Excel, for instance.  With them, you can go to an account and easily sort or filter on the identifying columns to get the target transactions adjacent or only showing.  Then, it allows range selection of the transactions to be edited (if others are there elsewhere in the sort).  Finally, the new category/account can be applied to the range, using the same actions that would edit a single transaction.  Is that a lot of work?  It looks like some level of sort is there, already, just hidden on a right click menu.

> .

As others have already pointed out, the problem is much more than
selecting an adequate editing tool.  The file must be saved in
uncompressed XML format, the correct identifiers determined, the correct
substitutions determined, a means of selecting which ones need to be
changed, and, oh by the way, NO SORTING ALLOWED, as sequence is critical
to XML.  OK, there may be one or two XML editors that can do some
sorting, but I don't have one on my PC.

That is more than I want to try to do manually.

David C