cannot install gc 2.6 for ubuntu

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:38:19 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 February 2014 09:02, John Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> > On 02/10/2014 01:52 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> >

> >> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM, John Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net
> >> <mailto:jsowden at americansentry.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On 02/09/2014 01:50 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> >>
> >>         sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> >>
> >>     The first command went with no errors.  The seconds command went
> >>     with the following:
> >>

> >>     john at sentry15:~$ sudo apt-get install gnucash
> >>     Reading package lists... Done
> >>     Building dependency tree
> >>     Reading state information... Done
> >>     Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> >>     requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> >>     distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> >>     or been moved out of Incoming.
> >>     The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> >>

> >>     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >>      gnucash : Depends: libaqbanking33 (>= 4.99.2) but it is not
> >>     installable
> >>                Recommends: gnucash-docs but it is not going to be
> >>     installed
> >>     E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> >>     john at sentry15:~$
> >>

> >> In addition to the information Colin Law requested, could you please
> also
> >> check to see exactly what version of Ubuntu you are running. It matters
> >> because if you look at http://www.getdeb.net/software/Gnucash  you
> will see
> >> that GnuCash 2.6.1 has only been compiled for Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu
> 13.10
> >> (the LTS release and the most-recent non-LTS release).
> >>
> >> If you are running one of those two versions then you may also want to
> be
> >> sure you are pointing to the correct GetDeb repository for your version
> of
> >> Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> For example, if you are running Ubuntu 12.04, the repository (go to the
> >> Software Center and open Edit --> Preferences and click the Other
> Software
> >> tab. The entry for GetDeb in Ubuntu 12.04 should be:
> >>
> >> http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu precise-getdeb apps
> >>
> >> If you are running Ubunto 13.10 the line above should say "saucy"
> instead
> >> of "precise."
> >>
> >> If you are running ANY OTHER version of Ubuntu on your computer, you
> >> cannot use the GnuCash packages at GetDeb. You CAN however compile and
> >> install them yourself.
> >>
> > well, I am running xubuntu 13.10 with the xfce desktop.  Sounds like I
> need
> > to remove getdeb from my update config.
>
> I believe that Tommy was including Xubuntu when he said ubuntu.  It is
> the version number that is important.  Xubuntu 13.10 should be ok I
> believe.  Of course if you do not need 2.6 then remove getdeb and use
> 2.4 from the standard repo.

> [...]

Sorry I forgot that. Yes, as far as I know the libraries SHOULD be the same
for all the standard _buntu variants (xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu... )
because they actually point to the same repository.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Mint or Peppermint or any of the non-standard
Ubuntu variants to have the same packages, but if they are based on the
same codebase as a particular version of Ubuntu they may very well work,
too.

It sounds like it COULD be a packaging error in the GetDeb package, but I
presume others have been able to install it, so it might be a subtle
problem. You MIGHT try uninstalling and reinstalling (if you haven't done
so already) and if so be sure you get a "fresh" package just in case.

$ sudo apt-get purge gnucash gnucash-common gnucash-docs

$ sudo apt-get clean

$ sudo apt-get install gnucash gnucash-common gnucash-docs