Balance Sheets

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 19:51:04 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Chris Bester
<chrisbester at cybersmart.co.za>wrote:

> My other question was; just for interest sake, what does (Equile) mean in (
> Balance Sheet( Equile)?
> Thanks again
> Chris

I am afraid some of the responses you received to this question took you
down a "rabbit hole." I believe I understand what happened and I hope to
clear things up. If it doesn't I hope someone will set ME straight!

When you see two "Balance Sheet" reports, one labeled "eguile" it means the
developers have included both the old "Balance Sheet" report AND a new,
"prettier" or "easier to edit" report that uses the eguile utility. They
should function similarly (as far as the numbers that appear on them),
however one or the other might suit you better.

Explanation: GnuCash uses a programming language called Scheme to create
its reports. (GnuCash uses Scheme several places, but we're just talking
about reports here.) The utility that GnuCash uses uses to interpret Scheme
code is called Guile. Someone created a special Guile "preprocessor" called
eguile that simplifies the creation of "pretty" or "easier to maintain"
reports. GnuCash developers chose it because eguile knows how to use HTML,
which is the "language" used by web browsers to make web pages look nice,
and HTML is more familiar to more people than plain Scheme code. SO an
eguile report should be easier to make into a nicer web page, which may
give you more options both in its creation and in using the final result.

I hope I didn't botch that explanation TOO terribly.