print out expense sub-categories details?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jan 21 13:11:35 EST 2014

OK, I think I can help. The first thing is that you have TWO problems.
The first is more serious. The second is just pointing you to the report
you want to run.

a) Transfers from Imbalance ---- No, no, no! As Derek says, this means
you need to go back to the beginning with the documentation to
understand how double entry bookkeeping works. But yes, even when you
have learned that and are (usually) entering transactions correctly you
will sometimes goof and end up with something in Imbalance or Orphan so
you need to know how to fix that CORRECTLY (and not the way you have
been doing it).

   When you see something in Imbalance you use the information there to
find the original transaction that resulted in this entry in Imbalance
(the other side of the transaction). You go THERE and change Imbalance
to the proper account you should have entered in the first place (when
you didn't select and account, gnucash defaulted to Imbalance).

b) You don't need to do screen shots. There is a report that will list
all transactions by account (you can select just the accounts you want),
the Transaction Report. It will subtotal them by month, etc. but you
will of course need to look at all of the options available to you to
select the ones that you want. HOWEVER -- I am a tad confused when you
say "the IRS wants". That level of detail isn't for any tax form that I
know of. Are you being audited? (I can see them saying "we doubt the
amount you entered as "advertising expense; show us all the individual
payments").

Michael D Novack