Scheduled Transactions: 2 days before the last day of the month?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:15:41 EST 2014

On 31 Jan 2014, at 15:32, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/2014 3:07 PM, Gast1234 wrote:
>> Dear GnuCash-User,
>>
>> I get a payment usually 2 days before the last day of the month.
>> Is there a way to schedule this?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help!
>>

>> --
>>

> I do not think that there is that much flexibility in the GnuCash
> scheduling method.  I would probably set the schedule for the last day
> of the month with a reminder 2 days early.  Then the Since Last Run
> assistant would get the reminder on the correct date.  Then I wouild
> move the date back two days with the minus key in the date field when I
> review the entry.  I would probably set the memorized transaction number
> field to include some text such as 'Reset' to remind me whether I have
> changed the date.  Of course then I need to remember to erase the
> 'Reset' text when I do change the date.

I think I must have asked this before, in a similar context - Is there anything to be gained from adjusting the dates after the event?

When I write a cheque, I record the date I signed it as a transaction in GC, not the date I expect it to be cleared through the bank, and similarly when paying cheques in. There is inevitably some jitter between the recorded dates and the real dates, but if you record cheques as soon as they’re written and anticipated income at the latest expected date you’re not going to overdraw without warning. The ability to “Create In Advance” is a great way of avoiding unnecessary overdrafts and needlessly high current account balances, as you can see trouble coming up below the blue line (i.e. in the future) in the account register.

I would just choose “last day of the month” in the Scheduled Transaction Editor, and leave it at that.

Is there something I’m missing here?

Michael