Importing and modifying multiple currency transactions

Tony Marshall tony at marshall.name
Sat Jun 7 10:19:34 EDT 2014

Hello,

I understand the limitations in importing QIF files with transactions
in mulitple currencies into GNUCash. My problem is correcting the
transactions once they are imported. Having set up GNUCash to use
trading accounts, the program seems to resist any attempt to modify
the exchange rate of a transfer between two accounts with different
currencies.

Try the following:
1) Import this QIF file, having one transaction that transfers 10 GBP
from the "Current GBP" account to the "Current EUR" account. Set m-d-y
as the date format, and choose GBP as the currency when importing.

!Type:Bank
D6/ 3'14
U1,000.00
T1,000.00
CX
POpening Balance
L[Current GBP]
^
D6/ 4'14
U-10.00
T-10.00
PTony
MMemo 1
L[Current EUR]
^

2) After importing the file, set the Current EUR account's currency to
EUR. GNUCash creates the currency trading accounts, setting the
exchange rate to 1.

3) In the Current GBP account transaction register, there is the
following split transaction:

Account              Deposit    Withdrawl
Current EUR          10.00
Trading:CURRENCY:GBP 10.00
Current GBP                      10.00
Trading:CURRENCY:EUR            €10

4) Now try to change the transaction so that the GBPEUR exchange rate
is 1.5, i.e. GBP 10 buys EUR 15. I have tried many different ways and
none has been successful. It's probably not worth giving an example,
because every time I try it something different happens. Suffice to
say that I can't fathom its logic.

I have tried entering another transaction with the same transaction
date and correct exchange rate. However, GNUCash automatically copies
the transaction that is already in the register, and I am left in the
same situation of trying to modify it.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, as it is the only
impediment to switching from Quicken to GNUCash.

Tony