Importing QIF

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Mar 19 20:49:12 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, March 19, 2014 8:18 pm, David Carlson wrote:
> On 3/19/2014 6:28 PM, sunfish62 at yahoo.com wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I'm not certain, but it seems to me that when I migrated out of quicken
>> (8 years ago), I was able to simply export everything from quicken
>> (transactions, accounts, and categories) and import the whole into an
>> empty Gnucash file, and it all worked pretty well. Gnucash was able to
>> build the structure for me.
>>
>> Perhaps you could try that?
>>
>> David
>
> Dave F,
>
> I do not think that GnuCash is able to re-map accounts on the fly during
> an import.  When I wanted to do that sort of thing, I did the re-mapping
> in an intermediate Quicken file before exporting.  There were some other
> 'sins' that Quicken had been letting me get away with that were most
> easily fixed in Quicken before export, such as missing transfer accounts
> in some transactions.  Check the suggestions in the other thread called
> conversion from Quickbooks too.

Last I checked, you could definitely remap QIF Accounts to GNC Accounts.
Indeed, GnuCash gives you a page in the process to map QIF Accounts and
then another page to map QIF Categories, and finally a process to map
Payee/Memo to GNC Account.

By default GnuCash will assume QIF Account/Category == GNC
Account/Category, but you can change that mapping by double-clicking
during the import and re-assigning.

At least that's what I remember from the last time I used the importer.
But I doubt it's changed.

> David C

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745