Categorizing reward programmes

Alun Champion list at achampion.net
Fri Mar 21 18:38:18 EDT 2014

I do option 2 but on a monthly basis (statement), as my rewards aren't
received until the end of the statement period.
Doing it on a transaction by transaction basis for either option 2 or
option 3 sounds to much like hard work but then I don't have any
single expense cards (e.g. fuel), or any flat % reward cards.

Some rewards I track as a stock (e.g. airmiles), others as cash (e.g.
% cash back). I accept that some expenses may be over stated by a
small amount, and in some cases it maybe not be able to assign a value
to the reward until redeemed (e.g. airmiles), so how can you
accurately track without it becoming arduous.

If I did track it on a transaction by transaction basis then I would
probably do option 3, and just treat it is a transfer from one asset
account to another:
Asset:Bank: -$50.00
Asset:Reward: $1.00
Expense:Fuel: $49.00