Brought forward in Transaction Reports

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:38:57 EDT 2014

On 31 Mar 2014, at 10:50, Amm <ammdispose-gnucash at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Gnucash user from about 1 and half year. (But I am not accountant, so pardon me if I missed something very obvious).
>
> This year I intend use report (transaction) option provided for printing book directly.
>
> I have this scenario:
>
> Lets say there is Asset Account called "Advance Professional Tax".
>
> Financial year starts 01-Apr-2013 and ends 31-Mar-2014. But my Gnucash contains previous year entries as well.
>
> On 31-Mar-2013 (that is previous year end) there was balance of 10000.00.
>
> Lets say this financial year I had transaction (debit) of 2000.00 on say 31-Oct-2013
>
> When I generate report, it just shows one entry. i.e.:
> Date         Description        Amount      Balance
> 31/10/2013   Professional Tax   2000.00     8000.00
>

> (Here it does not make explicitly clear from where balance of 8000 came!)
>

> What I want is it should show "Brought Forward" entry as well for clarity. i.e:
>
> Date                 Description        Amount      Balance
> 1/04/2013    Brought Forward    10000.00    10000.00
>
> 31/10/2013    Professional Tax     -2000.00    8000.00
>
> First entry (10000.00) does not really exist in account. But I want it to be printed for clarity.
>
> Is it possible?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Amm

Reports=>Transaction Reports

This will produce a blank report (“No Accounts Selected”).

Click the “Options” button.

In the Account tab choose your account.

In the Display tab make sure “Running Balance” is ticked.

This will give you a report for the selected account between the selected dates, with a running total (not exactly an opening balance, but a single subtraction is all that is necessary!).

Obviously, you can change the date range and select other options.

Michael