Tracking cash dividends with advanced portfolio

Daniel Dodson daniel.dodson at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:17:00 EDT 2014

Recently I've realised that I can track cash dividends by adding an extra
split with no value to the stock account. This makes them appear under the
'income' column in the advanced portfolio report where previously only
reinvested dividends appear. So to recap on what I did...

The first 2 splits are what I've always had...
income:dividends:stockA    a_number
assets:cash:currentAccount   a_number
The extra split to add....
assets:stocks:stockA     *no value required*

I was surprised that I didn't need a value but it seems to work in Gnucash
2.4.11 and 2.6.3.

I'd like to contribute by updating the guide at
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/invest-dividends1.html.
How can I do this?

Daniel