copying accounts and transactions from one book to another

gnucash.133518b at telus.net gnucash.133518b at telus.net
Thu May 8 04:14:22 EDT 2014

Having duly noted the section B.3.2 Q&A in the guide that says it isn't
possible to merge two GnuCash files, I have to pose my question anyway.
I'm experimenting with investment accounts and do not want to do this in
our working book. Only if the result of my experiments is satisfactory
would I like to import the investments book accounts and their
transactions into our working book. There will be no duplicate entries
between the two books. Is there any way to achieve this without
reentering the myriad investment transactions a second time? It's hard
to understand why such functionality is missing from GnuCash, but I
don't mind having to use indirect steps to meet the goal.

I've seen references to the GnuCashToQIF project, but a read of its web
page seems to indicate a very incomplete effort that doesn't work for
investments:

   http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/

Carl