Inserting transactions with debit card, cheque and prepaid card

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon May 12 08:41:41 EDT 2014

LuisDaniel Lafaurie wrote:

>Hi Claudio,
>
>I use to put payments done using a credit card under 'accounts payable' and
>that under 'liabilities'.
>
>Each payment with the credit card is treated as 'money borrowed from a
>bank', and when the balance on the credit card is reduced by a partial or a
>full payment, this money sholud be deducted from an 'asset' such as current
>account, savings account, cash in wallet, just to name a few types of
>assets.

An "account payable" is of course a liability but not all liabilities
are accounts payable << in the sense that term is usually meant >>

Perhaps just a matter of taste, but I'd consider a credit card account
more of a formal liability, just as you would treat a "line of credit",
in this case unsecured, but still a formal credit line with a bank. So
I'd put the credit card account under liabilities but not as a child of
"accounts payable".

As noted in other responses, a "debit card" account would be an asset
under "current assets". Not cash per se, not a bank account, another
category. Besides "debit cards" there are other sorts of prepaid cards
(vendor specific) and amounts more tightly linked to a specific vendor*
and these can all be grouped together.

Michael

* Like "to all our good customers, here's a code you can apply to your
next order to get $10 off"