Guile problem building 2.6.3 from git on Ubuntu 12.04

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 12 17:33:18 EDT 2014

Hi,

Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> writes:

> Building from the tag 2.6.3 in git on Ubuntu 12.04 I have this error
> during configure
>
> checking for guile-1.8 >= 1.8.5... yes
> checking GUILE_CFLAGS... -pthread
> checking GUILE_LIBS... -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -lguile -lgmp -lcrypt -lm -lltdl
> ../configure: line 20528: syntax error near unexpected token
> `gnc_have_guile_www,'
> ../configure: line 20528: `
> GUILE_MODULE_AVAILABLE(gnc_have_guile_www,(www main))'
>
> I have guile-1.8, guile-1.8-dev and swig installed.
> Google suggested that this could be caused by
> /usr/share/aclocal/guile.m4 not being found, but this file is present.

The issue is that guile.m4 is no longer included in the guile-1.8-dev
package, only in the guile-2.0-dev package.  So you need to:

  install guile-2.0-dev
  run autogen.sh
  switch to guile-1.8-dev
  run configure

If you don't like this then you should complain to your distribution
packagers.