indented/tree organized transaction report?

incoming-gnucash at sabot.com incoming-gnucash at sabot.com
Tue May 13 18:13:54 EDT 2014

I have a question about the built-in Income statement versus the
Transaction report: I'm sort of seeking to combine the two.

I've made myself a customized Income Statement that is limited to a
subset of my accounts that I want to see.  On the report options page,
I left the Levels of Subs accounts at the default, which works fine
for me: I want to see the results organized by the first few levels of
the tree, indented exactly as shown.

I also made a customized transaction report, covering the same subset
of categories.  For each line item/leaf on the Income statement, this
shows the detailed transactions that added up to that value, and it
also totals up each of those transactions by category so I can see
that the total matches.

I'm used to using a single report in quicken that sort of combined
those two roles, as if the transaction detail were jammed into the
Income statement, or alternatively as if the Transaction statement was
organized/indented by subaccount tree depth and not flatted.  Having
the information split into two reports, summary + detail, is slightly
cumbersome.  I suppose I could always set up of a multi column report
to get them into the same "html", but that doesn't solve two problems:

1. I don't just want them in the same html file, I really prefer to
   have the information interleaved in one report.

2. I think multicolumn is just a way to combine two reports by
   referencing them, and still leaves me with a bigger issue: the two
   reports can get out of sync.  I still must maintain in two
   different places the exact same set of accounts that I want
   covered.  It would be easy to add a new account and fix up the
   income report's options while accidentally overlooking the other.
   With just two reports I would probably get it right, its only two
   places... but if you have several paired reports like this, for
   different purposes or different gnucash files, the cleanup to the
   reports if you need to add even a single new account can grow to be
   pretty involved.

Is there a way to use the various report settings to create a custom
transaction report with detailed transactions that also uses
indentation to show the hierarchical tree structure?

Thanks.

--gary