Register - transfer field & hidden accounts

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:28:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 May 2014 09:24, david_lynch <david_lynch at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I am a novice user of gnucash, having recently moved from Quicken.
>>
>> My data spans 20 years and I have many hidden accounts. When I bring up my
>> account list in the transfer field of the register, somewhat to my surprise,
>> all these hidden accounts appear. Is there a way of keeping them hidden from
>> this view as well as the accounts tab?
>
> If you select Placeholder as well as Hidden on the Edit Account dialog
> then they will not appear in the transfer field popup either.

One thing I do, such as when I close a bank account, is rename the
account so it's "out of the way." For example, when I close the
account:

"Assets:Current Assets:BigBank Checking"

I rename the account to

"Assets:Current Assets:zClosed BigBank Checking"

That way the closed account will appear at the end of its place in the
Current Assets accounts list and I'm unlikely to choose it by
accident. Then after a few months or years I might hide it if I don't
want it to show up in the lists. Colin suggested another trick to hide
the accounts even further without renaming it.

Obviously expense, income, or liability accounts can be handled in
similar ways.

If you decide you should never have used an account in the first
place, you can delete it, and GnuCash will ask you in which account
you want its transactions to go.