Gnucash upgrade not working

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu May 15 10:19:13 EDT 2014

On Thursday 15 May 2014 15:13:25 Colin Law wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> Did you realise you had replied to me personally, on this list you
> have to use Reply All or Reply List to send it to the list.  I am
> copying it to the list.
>
> On 15 May 2014 14:46, Kevin Rutherford <kevin at rutherford-software.com>
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I know that several have had problems with the version from getdeb
> >> intermittently hanging on exit on 14.04.  It is not difficult to
> >> build from source.  If you try this and anything in the wiki on
> >> building for 14.04 is not clear then come back and we will assist
> >> and I will update the wiki accordingly.
> >
> > I tried the version from getdeb and it hangs on exit every time (on
> > Ubuntu 14.04).
> > So I've tried to build it myself, starting with the 2.6.3 tarball
> > from girhub.
> The wiki instructions assume you build it from the tar from the
> gnucash website rather than github, though that is not explicitly
> stated there.  That should not be a major problem though.

I actually think that is the real problem here. Github's tarballs are
the raw sources packed up in a tarball. The tarballs available via the
website are created via the gnucash build system and this adds files
that are required for building from a tarball that are not in the raw
sources.

As I replied to Kevin it may be possible to convince the build system to
do the right thing by setting BUILDING_FROM_SCM=yes before calling
configure. But I haven't tested this myself.

Geert