GNU cash slow to load

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Sun May 18 06:35:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 15:33:46 +0200
Klaus Dahlke <klaus.dahlke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I use the postgresql backend. Starting gnucash with 23 MB database stored on SSD takes ~18 seconds.
>
> BTW: also the sql backend writes some log files under ~/.gnucacsh/translog. The filename is like 'postgres_127.0.0.1_gnucash_gnucash.20130330152737.log'
>
> Best regards,
> Klaus
>

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 10:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Paul Conrady <audio1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Reading the above discuss piqued my interest, so I decided to run a quick
> > test. My results follow.
> >
> > GnuCash loads in 13.04 sec. This is the program file only, absent any data,
> > reports, etc.
> >
> > Data file only -                                Open                Save
> > XML (14.2 Mb; no compression):      10.07 sec          3.08 sec
> > XML (1.0 Mb; compression on):        10.66                3.46
> > SQLite3 (9.9 Mb):                              9.9                 not
> > required
> >
> > I used the same data file in the tests. The difference in size in due to
> > compression. SQLite saves each transaction when entered in the GnuCash
> > register, therefore saves are "not required".
> >
> > Comments: I use the SQLite3 backend because changes are saved to the file
> > immediately. (I have not used MySQL so I cannot comment.) The only downside
> > to the SQLite3 format is that incremental backup files are not automatically
> > produced by the program. This can be good or bad, depending on your point of
> > view. On one hand, your default folder is not filled with
> > "....gnucash.20130401095037.gnucash" backup files. On the other hand, you
> > must remember to manually create backup files. I prefer the latter method.
> >
> > Probst! Paul
> >
> > x86-P4 with hyperthreading
> > Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> > GnuCash 2.4.11 (from r22264M)
> >

> > --
Just thought I'd add some more data to the mix.

I've written some python to take a purchase confirmation e-mail from E-Bay, parse it, create an invoice and new users if required, post it in my GnuCash account.  Given that python is a tad slower that C or C++ the times below may be use for to finding the bottleneck.  No GUI is opened just a 2MB gnucash file, opened processed and re-saved in uncompressed XML.

real    0m5.647s
user    0m4.744s
sys     0m0.484s

So that's 5.6 seconds to do the whole thing.  Creates 3 new users and 3 invoices with an average of 3 items per invoice.  If I removed the logging outputs it would probably be quicker.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53