exporting data to mysql server

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu May 29 17:22:25 EDT 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 1:44 PM, Barry Rosenberg <dovierosenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to save my gnucash file to a remote mysql server. (Until now I have
> been using an xml file stored locally).
>
> I receive error "*The server at URL <redacted> experienced an error or
> encountered bad or corrupt data."*
>
> Below is contents of the trace file:
>
> * 16:24:23  CRIT <GLib> g_utf8_to_utf16: assertion `str != NULL' failed
> * 16:24:24  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [gnc_dbi_mysql_session_begin()] Unable
> to connect to database 'gnucash'
> * 16:24:25  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> gnc_dbi_unlock: assertion
> `dbi_conn_error( dcon, NULL ) == 0' failed
> * 16:24:25  CRIT <gnc.engine.sx> gnc_sx_get_sxes_referencing_account:
> assertion `sxactions != NULL' failed
>
> I created a database called "gnucash" on my server. However, my hosting
> provider does not allow remote mysql users to execute "CREATE DATABASE"
> statements. Could this be the issue?

Quite possible, but it looks like you didn’t get that far because when the “CREATE DATABASE” statement fails it should write an “Unable to create database foo” error message to gnucash.trace. It wrote an “unable to connect” error instead, which usually means some sort of authentication or URL error. Check your MySQL logs to see if there’s anything there about an auth failure and make sure that you’re feeding it the right URI for the server.

> From the trace file it looks like it's never actually connecting
> successfully. Where could the "str != NULL" be coming from?

Not from trying to open the database. The only uses of that function are in launching help or opening a URI on Microsoft Windows.

Regards,
John Ralls