Tracking material assets prior to sale

John Ruemker john.ruemker at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:31:58 EDT 2014

I'm very new to GnuCash, so apologies if I'm missing some basic
concepts.  I'm trying to learn the ropes for potential use with a small
home business.

I know GnuCash doesn't do inventory tracking and that's not really what
I'm after, but I do want the ability to track materials and unsold
merchandise as assets until sales are made.  For example, large batches
of raw materials are purchased in one transaction, kept on hand while
slowly converted into sellable product, and those products are
transferred to the customer upon sale.  But I'm having trouble wrapping
my brain around how this should work.

When the initial purchase of materials is made, that's simple enough: a
split transaction from Assets:checking (or wherever) to Assets:Materials
and the rest to Expenses:Taxes and other categories for expenses outside
of what we're retaining as assets.  Then as materials are converted into
product, transfer the value from Assets:Materials to
Assets:Merchandise.  Here, it seems like tracking the value of the
product in terms of sale price as opposed to material cost would make
the most sense, but then the transfer from Materials to Merchandise is
not equal.  Where does the additional amount pull from? So maybe then I
just leave it as the material cost in the merchandise account?

And then I get ever more lost at the sale.  I would invoice and send it
to accounts receivable and process the payment to Assets:checking (or
wherever), but then what do I do with the value in Assets:merchandise?
Transfer it to an Expenses account?   Is there no way as part of
invoicing or processing payment to reflect that it covers the transfer
of a certain amount of assets?

Thanks for helping a n00b.

-John