Deposits Report

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Nov 2 22:12:59 EST 2014

TanyaMc wrote:

>I use GnuCash for my role as church treasurer. I came to GC from QuickBooks,
>so the lack of reports and need to create my own is daunting to me, as that
>is not my forte'.
>
>I need to provide a report to the person that second party's the info on my
>reports. I need to account for each dollar that is deposited and into which
>'fund' it went. I have been able to adapt GC to work using sub accounts of
>checking account and sub accounts for income and expenses.

Gnucash is a wonderful tool that by automating the posting process
prevents the most common errors of traditional pen and ink on paper
bookkeeping. But to use it you have to have a reasonable grasp of how
double entry bookkeeping works.

Let's see if I understand what you church is doing (not necessarily HOW
you are currently trying to enter in gnucash)

1) You have one bank account (checking). "In" and "out" will refer to
THIS account.
2) You have SOME money coming in that is income for your church.
3) You have SOME money coming in that is restricted to OTHER things.
4) You have SOME money going out that is expenses for your church.
5) You have SOME money going out for these OTHER things.

You want/need to be able to report on income/expenses for your church.
You want/need to account for the OTHER funds passing through your church
account.

Is that a correct description of your situation?

Michael D Novack

PS: Hint --- the fundamental equation of bookkeeping is assets =
liabilities + equity.  In other words, a negative asset account and a
liability account are the same. In the bank statements you get from your
bank, debits and credits are reversed from your own books because the
money in your bank account is an asset to you but a liability to the
bank (they owe you this money). The SAME way funds held by your church
for some OTHER (say the "mission fund") while an asset to the mission
are a liability to your church.

Consider these transactions.
1) A congregant donates $100 for mission work which is deposited in the
checking account.
         db checking
         cr  mission fund (an account of type liability)
2) A check is written to the "XYZ Mission"
         db mission fund
         cr  checking

Notice that to produce a report for the "mission fund" is simply
reporting all activity in just this account.