Deposits Report

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 11:20:01 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM, TanyaMc <tanyamc at gwtc.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I actually understand double entry very well.
> However,
> those I report to do not and so they are overwhelmed by balance sheets and
> inc/exp reports to show basic cash flow they desire. And
>
> I have all of the ins/outs accounted for using subaccounts of the checking
> account because all the funds are in that one bank account. I need to
> reconcile that account with the bank statement. I also have inc/exp
> accounts
> for each 'fund'.
>
> I tried using the liability concept for fund accounting but I find this
> method to work better.
>
> As I said the only issue I am having is with this one particular
> account/transaction. It is not a fund like missions, etc. Rather it is
> tracking expenses and reimbursements. Sort of like a making a loan to a
> friend and tracking how much you gave them and how much they paid back with
> one asset account.
>
> And my problem is not in the tracking but in the reporting. Again, I want
> show all the money that went into the checking account and where it was
> 'sent' (inc/exp or asset).

It would be helpful to know exactly how you are inputting these data. When
a parishoner writes a cheque to the general fund, does it look like this?

assets:Chequing           DR
Revenue:General Fund  CR

And when a parishoner writes a cheque earmarked for, say, missions, does it
look like this?

assets:Chequing                DR
Revenue:Missions Giving   CR

(If not, please give very specific examples of the transactions involved.)

I understand that you're happy with the way the transactions have been
logged to date, and you're only having a bit of difficulty with the
reporting. That said, 1) knowing exactly how the transactions are shaped
will help others give help constructing the report, and 2) the way the
transactions have been input may be making it difficult to get the report
because they are subtly incorrect, or at least could be improved. Having
difficulty making reports like this can be a symptom of suboptimal chart of
accounts structure and transaction structure.

In Christ,
Aaron Laws