Deposits Report

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:05:13 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM, TanyaMc <tanyamc at gwtc.net> wrote:

> Regarding the set up of the chart of accounts, I posted an image of the
> account properties. Did you something awry in that image?

The image you posted:
account_type.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4673821/account_type.png>

The problem with that account is it's defined as a "top level" account, and
not subordinate to the "top level" "placeholder" account called Assets. I
suspect the reason you're having trouble getting the reports you need is
that the program and most of the reports assume a basic structure of
accounts, with all accounts underneath "placeholder" names like Assets,
Equity, Income, Liabilities .... While you may have correctly created it as
an "asset" account, you may have trouble using the parts of the program and
reports that assume all Asset accounts are subordinate to the top-level
Asset account placeholder. [I have not tested this, so I don't know what
happens if it's set up the way you have it.]

> As for issues with
> how the chart of accounts is set up, could you give an example of what I
> have versus what you would do? I would appreciate that. If there aren't
> specific examples in the user guide that address fund accounting like this,
> please point me to them.

There probably aren't EXACT examples that match your situation, but if you
follow along with the examples and especially notice the way the accounts
are organized in the examples, I think the advice on the list will make
more sense. You can always add new accounts of your own choosing, but
especially for getting help from the list and from the documentation, it's
best to start with a "standard" account structure, modified to suit your
needs.

QUICK LESSON

When GnuCash creates a brand new data file, it offers to provide any of
several charts of accounts. SO here's a quick (two minute) simple lesson --
Create a new "just for learning" GnuCash file.

Choose File-->New File

Click through the first few parts in the new file window. Notice it will
suggest a set of business accounts. Click through some of the other account
categories, and have a look at the account structure as it lists the
options. (Any account types you check on the list on the left get combined
together when you finish creating the file.)

You can print (or write out) the structure of the accounts you like, and
you can go back and edit your existing accounts to follow the standard
structure. You don't have to save the new file, but you can if you want to
if you want to have a closer look at what the accounts do, or follow along
with the examples in the documentation.

If you do create a new GnuCash file, be sure to give the new file a unique
name and save it in a different directory from your existing file so you
don't confuse them.

> I don't have a lot of time for reading! If I did I'd like to read
> a real book much moreso than a manual. :)

If you go to the project's web site at http://www.gnucash.org/ there's a
professionally published book listed on the left side of the page. I have
never read it, but I believe it's readily available from the publisher
and/or you can order it from a local book vendor.

Additionally, the existing GnuCash documentation is readily available at
http://www.gnucash.org/ as a .pdf file which you can download and print for
just the cost of your own ink and paper.