Non-profit / charity / fund accounting, example help, please

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 19:09:35 EST 2014

I'm doing some (not accounting specific) work for a UK charity.  This
has encouraged me to look at gnc for charity / non-profit / fund
accounting again.

I've started with the Chart of Accounts from a previous org and am
adding in the needs of the new one.

I'm thinking of doing this in two phases

1) the accounting

2) the reporting

I'm probably going to cheat on (2) by using external reporting methods
but first things first, can anyone give me some problem accounting
examples specific to this type of org that they have come across and had
problems solving with gnc?

I'm also interested in being reminded of threads like "Deposits Report"
from early Nov which is a good example to work through to see if things
are covered but not ideal as it is often more useful to discuss things
when the pressure of handing reports to the committee / trustees is
remote.

For people using gnc for personal or business accounting and wondering
what this is all about there is some apparent weirdness in this type of
accounting, for e.g. if someone gives you money it may be a liability
rather than an asset and other non-intuitive and entertaining stuff :)

--
Wm...