Cash Flow Report

Charles Brescia clbrescia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 23:00:07 EDT 2014

Carsten:
    Good to talk to you again.  My account tree although lengthy is
extremely simple, I did not follow the GnuCash tutorial guide when building
it and have not used a number of its features.  But I have Assets, Equity,
Income, and Expense accounts I think laid out in a rather standard manor.
But what I was saying is that if I purchase an item say with a credit card,
the debit goes into the credit card account and I assign that expense to a
particular expense category.  If later on I take back that item and get a
refund I will assign the refund to the same expense category.  When I do a
Cash Flow report that expense category will appear in both "Money In" and
"Money Out" sections of the report with the refund showing up in the "Money
In" section and all other expenses in that category showing up in "Money
Out".  What I'm asking for is that the refund should be included in the
"Money Out" section and simply reduce the overall amount displayed in that
expense category.  There is nothing financially wrong with what GnuCash is
doing here, it's just a nuisance to then have to take the refund and
manually subtract it or them from the expense category to see what I
actually spent in that category.  Derek pointed me in the direction of the
P&L report which does exactly that, AND it does subtotals of parent
accounts which is what I was going to ask for next.  But as I mentioned to
Derek there are some issues with that report as well.  But that is exactly
what I would like the Cash Flow report to look like.  I hope that helps,
thanks.

Charles