very weird quirk noted, copying one computer to another

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 04:12:25 EDT 2014

On 13 October 2014 00:10, Simon Bryant <simonbry at telus.net> wrote:
> Okay, let's put this another way. After deleting ALL gnucash files that I could find from the receiving computer (using Finder, Max OSX), and the downloading a new gnucash app, when I open the new app it STILL shows a list of ostensibly-available old gnucash files I created files (none of which actually open, because they no longer exist. WTF, how can I abolish gnucash traces from my computer forever and completely?)

If you mean the list of files that appears under File > Open then it
is just the list of recently used files, exactly the same as you see
in the word processor or whatever.  It does not check those files
still exist every time you open gnucash, that would slow down the
startup to no real purpose.  Just ignore it.  I think you will find
your word processor will behave exactly the same if you delete files
that you have recently had open.

I presume that if you use File > Open and browse to the file you want
to open that it does open that file,  and if you then close and
re-open GC that it automatically re-opens that file.

> This all started because when I attempted to move a gnucash file from a different machine,it opened with incomplete account entires but a complete general ledger and I'm thinking hey, who's in control of this? I'm just a user, understand, not a developer, and trying to get an accounting not a programming job done. All your efforts to create a usable piece of software and inputs are much appreciated, no mistake, and what i've seen of gnucash i like except this… thanks again. i'm leaning towards finishing the fiscal year on gnucash and then jumping ship; this is scary.

Just because it shows a list of files that you have since deleted when
you do File > Open?  That does not seem worth all that effort for.
Also I guarantee that whatever you change to will have some features
that you do not like.  Nothing is perfect for all users.

Colin