Demerger of company - how to record?

Divakar Ramachandran divakar07 at dataone.in
Sun Oct 19 08:56:34 EDT 2014

I need help recording the following event in a company whose shares I own:

I had 'x' shares in company 'A' each of which had a value 'rA' on date
21/06/2014
I received notice from 'A' that there was a demerger of 'A' into
companies 'A' and 'B', each individually listed on stock exchanges. The
terms of the demerger were such that I had as a result, 'x/2' shares of
'A' and 'x/2' shares of 'B'.
The letter from the company 'A' had the statement that "shareholders are
advised to apportion their pre-demerger cost of acqquisition of company
'A' shares as: 69% for 'A' and 31% for 'B'".

I used the stock split dialog for this, entering '-x/2' for company 'A'
shares, and '0.69 * (rA * x) / (x/2)' for price; the next window for
cash disbursement was left blank, since I received 'x/2' shares of
company 'B'. This results in a single transaction reducing stock in 'A'
by 'x/2' and a record of the price in the price editor. I could record
the shares of 'B' that have resulted as a separate transaction at the
price '0.31 * (rA * x) / (x/2)'.

Alternatively, if I record the entire transaction as a split transaction
with '-x/2' shares of 'A' at price '0.69 * (rA * x) / (x/2)' and '+x/2'
shares of 'B' at price '0.31 * (rA * x) / (x/2)' I am left with an
obvious imbalance that GC propmts me to correct either number, or price
or value.

What is the correct way to record such a de-merger?

Divakar

--
*Divakar R.*
Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA