Setting up gnucash for charity with project

Chris Brittain chrisbrittain at lineone.net
Wed Oct 29 14:14:55 EDT 2014

Thanks Dale
The funders vary a little in how they operate. Most have already received
from my predecessor invoice by invoice supported claims and have paid out a
percentage retrospectively at to a maximum agreed. Unfortunately the trail
of this is difficult to follow as they sent the evidence, normally a folder
of receipted invoices,  to a number of the funders in turn. Others just
required evidence of completion before paying out. There has been mingling
of funds with each funder offering either a fixed amount, or most likely a
15% -50% proportion which can be crossed matched with each other and our
reserves.
This will probably be a one off at this level (£250K) but there are
regularly smaller donations (£1-2K) for a specific purpose but the accounts
have not previously recorded these as restricted funds (UK usage not sure if
it is the same in USA) but I will in future be recording these as such to
meet accountancy requirements.
The board just want basic management accounts showing overall P&L and cash
flow, but previously they had project funding figures and day-to -day cash
flow separately with no apparent linkage between them. On my first check it
appears there may be a considerable overspend on the former and resulting in
reasonable healthy looking P&L with a big hidden erosion of the reserves. My
aim is to produce full management accounts monthly and also be able to
prepare annual accounts to UK Charity SORP standards. I will have to enter
data retrospectively for three years and reconcile a very opaque trail of
transactions because adequate annual accounts have not been produced for
some time!! I will have the services of a professional accountant to perform
a full audit but financial constraints mean that I will have to do all the
background work.
The setup of a subaccount on the banking side sounds good but perhaps I
would have to "tweak"  one of the standard reports to get the monthly report
I want.
Thanks

Chris