gnc's use of Finance::Quote needs Date::Manip

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 14:36:09 EDT 2015

Fri, 3 Apr 2015 17:40:47 <1556087.DoNa2X2EFJ at legolas.kobaltwit.lan>
Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>

>On Friday 03 April 2015 16:20:34 Wm wrote:
>> On a new Win8.1 system I ran Install Online Price Retrieval.
>> I needed to do
>>
>> cpan install Date::Manip
>>
>> by hand to get it to be useable (and pass the tests).
>>
>> In case it was Win version specific I did it again on a clean WinXP
>> VM. Same again.
>>
>> Looking at the archives it seems whether or not it should be a
>> requisite or dependency has gone back and forward a few times.  From
>> where I am sitting it looks like it is needed.  Not a sticking point
>> for someone familiar with perl but not much fun for people unfamiliar
>> with command lines.
>
>Can you add some more detail for debugging purposes ?
>What version of GnuCash ?

2.6.6 I thought it might be something to do with the new 8.1 menu
differences to begin with but it is the same in the XP VM.

>What flavor of Perl (Strawberry or ActiveState) ?

Strawberry, these were both clean systems perl wise and I think the
installer (rightly IMO) goes for Strawberry on Win

>What was the error did you get when Date::Manip was not installed ?

I didn't complete the WinXP test so ...
===
* Run gnc-fq-helper

Can't locate Date/Manip.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
Date::Manip module) (@INC contains: C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib
C:/strawberry/perl/vendor/lib C:/strawberry/perl/lib .) at gnc-fq-helper
line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at gnc-fq-helper line 33.

An error occurred, see above.

Press any key to continue . . .
===

at this point quote retrieval from inside gnc fails even though it shows
a green button for Get Quotes in the Price Editor.

I wasn't sure from the archives if it was gnc-fq-helper (i.e. the check
to see if things were working) that needed Date::Manip or gnc's use of
it, hence the Subject:

also Date::Manip pulls in a lot of stuff that may seem extraneous to
someone not using perl anyway but rather useful generally.  How much of
that does gnc need?  I'm still unclear.

Pondering: I think gnc needs some of but not all of Date::Manip I'm not
sure what the answer is but I'm guessing people with long running
systems may not have noticed that the functions had been joined
together, i.e. if you already have date::this and date::that the tests
pass and you don't need the whole of Date::Manip

The Date::Manip files on my old XP system (which fetches quotes fine)
are mainly round 2014-04-29 but the base file is from 2011-03-12, that
suggests to me gnc needs some of but not all of Date::Manip so the test
probably needs checking when someone gets the time.

--
Wm...