Business Accounting: Dispute an Invoice

Alice Lee alee212007 at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 7 04:17:41 EDT 2015

I am a CPA and I respond to accounting questions.  I am not an expert in
Gnucash but I do use it for a small non-profit for which I am the treasurer.
You need to record the invoice for the amount which you believe to be the
correct amount and that would be the amount which would go into either cost
of goods sold, if the goods are for resale, or in an expense account if you
are using them in your business.  When your bank is credited, you will of
course credit the bank account in Gnucash for the full amount, debit the
invoice for the amount of the invoice which you created in Gnucash and
create a debit account as a current asset calling it something like
Overcharge unresolved or you could set up a receivable for that vendor if
you prefer.  Make it an account that will call it to your attention if you
have lots of transactions.  Hope this helps.  Alice Lee