Fwd: Gnucash on two computers

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:07:07 EDT 2015

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Marty Engelking <engelkings at gmail.com>
>> Plutocrat - You mentioned "You could use something like Dropbox to sync the
>> files between two computers. This would also sync the lock file, which
>> would prevent you from opening the file on two computers at the same time."
>> Would this also apply to One Drive or Google Drive?

I believe it should. I'm not familiar with One Drive and Google Drive, but as long as the sync is 1) automatic, and 2) happens swiftly after a file has changed, then you should be OK.

Mark Phillips wrote on Tuesday, 14 April, 2015 06:55 AM:
> Big Gotcha here....notice I said **close** Gnucash on computer 1. If both
> computer 1 and computer 2 have gnucash open at the same time, both
> computers make changes to the file, and then close gnucash, you will loose
> transactions or worse.

That was what I was getting at with my comment about lock files. You set Dropbox to sync up one or more folders. The sync happens automatically, so when the lock file is created on PC 1, it is synched up to dropbox, and then back down to PC 2, which will prevent PC 2 from opening the file. This process is pretty fast and wouldn't take  more than a second or two. Likewise when you close Gnucash on PC 1 the lockfile will be deleted and that change will sync over to PC 2 in a second or two.

There is a tiny possibility that both computers will open the file at exactly the same time, and this could cause problems of course. However I think Dropbox may report a file conflict, so it would be wise to keep an eye out for those. As you say its not meant to be a multi-user app.

P.