Where does Gnucash Save itself when it closes

Mary Ann Wallace wallace at naples.net
Thu Apr 16 22:36:07 EDT 2015

Richard, I was asking myself this question this afternoon as I started
to work with the new 2.6.6 after downloading it and installing it in
place of an earlier version I had and discovered it was looking for a
file to open in my external drive which at the time was not connected to
the PC.

I am using Windows, so don't know if my response is relevant to what you
are using, but other readers on this list may also be using Windows and
asking themselves the same question.  I went through both the Help and
Guide pdf's and think that a section on file directory locations, how to
update the name for a more useful file name, and essential files to
backup if you're not backing up the whole Gnucash directory with all its
subdirectories - especially for Window PCs - in a future update would be
welcomed by many of us.

If you do a simple "Save As" (not Save) while you are using the program,
it may also open up and show you what the file's current name is.

1) When you open Gnucash, it will show you the name of the file on the
top header in Windows.  My data file is
gnuxmlaccounts.gnucash.20141103145723.gnucash. (screen shot attached)

2)  When you open a file, this is the screen that comes up showing the
location of your data file.  My location was the external drive and the
main folder was ACERXP\Backup\Wallace\My Documents\Gnucash\bin. (screen
shot attached).  This, I believe, is what L.D. James was referring to
when he said it was the same way LibreOffice and Microsoft Word work.
The only shortcoming of this view is that it doesn't show the Drive
(something I would like to suggest in a future update).  Personally,
when I discovered that Gnucash was saving to my external drive, I really
didn't want to keep all the files in that particular location for active
use since it's a backup of another computer, and plan to investigate
doing a "Save As" to another location where I have first copied the folders.

3) Finally, here is a screen shot of the BIN folder sorted by date so
the relevant files appear on top.  Outlined in red is my data file, and
I am assuming that this is THE critical file that contains everything I
need should a disaster occur.  Again, I would welcome an addition to the
Guide/Help pdfs that would enable non-programmers to know which files
are essential.  If this is the only essential file that by using with a
new downloaded copy of Gnucash on another computer would pick up where
one left off, then I want to say that the developers of Gnucash have
done a fantastic job.  As an accountant, my concern is knowing which
files I need to backup as a safeguard against corruption or computer
failure.

I hope that this helps make things a little clearer and that if I have
misstated anything, that the Gnucash team will correct me.

Mary Ann