Paying Invoices

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Apr 23 13:57:46 EDT 2015

On Monday 20 April 2015 21:40:21 Liz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:06 +0100
>
> Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
> > You seem be have gotten caught up in lot-link proliferation. All
> > versions of gnucash between 2.6.0 and 2.6.4 were very liberal in
> > creating lot links for business transactions and you could
> > eventually
> > end up with lots of pre-payments in different directions.
> >
> > The best solution IMO is to
> > 1. upgrade to version 2.6.5
> > 2. select your AR account in the account hierarchy (but don't open
> > its register - in fact close the register if it's still open)
> > 3. run "check&repair selected account"
> >
> > GnuCash 2.6.5 has changed its lot link policy again and is now very
> > conservative about creating one. It will do so only when absolutely
> > necessary (which is when you offset an invoice with a credit note).
> >
> > The check & repair step will go through your existing invoices and
> > payments and will attempt to convert as much of the existing lot
> > links as possible into straight invoice/payment links.
> >
> > I am not sure if check & repair will manage to fix *all* left-over
> > prepayments. Let me know how it goes as perhaps it might need some
> > more tuning for the next gnucash release.
>
> I've just tried this out, having compiled 2.6.5 and (finally)
> installed it after running into a a persistent trouble which I don;'t
> understans.
>
> My problem is I've still got $4K 'owing' for 90 days plus, when it's
> all been paid to me. There was overpayment and underpayment at
> different stages, then 2c left due to rounding differences, for which
> I made a Credit Note.
>
> The totals in the report add up, I've been paid, but I can't get the
> customer report to say so.
>
> Liz

Hi Liz,

There were important fixes in that area in gnucash 2.6.6 which has been released recently... It
may solve (part) of the outstanding owing amount.

On the other hand you may as well try and fix it by hand if there's not too much cruft left.

If the report shows owing while the totals add up you may want to look first at the Process
Payment window for this customer. Does it list outstanding pre-payments (can be with both a
credit or a debit amount) and unpaid invoices ? If so, these should be linked together via
process payment or cleared out by correcting wrong stale lot links.

The lot link transactions themselves can be found by opening the A/R account register. Look for
lot link transactions that haven't been resolved by check & repair (gnucash 2.6.6 handles a few
more cases, though it still can't replace all lot links).

Remove the lot link, open the Process Payment window and see what changed. You should get
one or more unpaid invoices and pre-payments that weren't there before. Select those
together that belong together and apply the payment.

Repeat until all oddities are ironed out.

I'll also note I wrote a wiki page [1] recently which documents common issues with invoices
and payments and suggests ways to fix them.

Some require some elbow grease to get sorted out unfortunately.

Hopefully this helps you on the way. If you need any more help, please shout.

Regards,

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Correcting_Business_Transaction_Mistakes