Too Many emails

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Aug 5 09:38:27 EDT 2015

At Wed, 05 Aug 2015 08:39:22 -0400 stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com wrote:

> I Joined the gnucash-user mailing list on Sunday 2 August 2015, Monday 3
> August Australian time and have been inundated with 20 or so emails a
> day from enthusiastic users in the two evenings since. I will un-join
> after sending this email. I wonder if some clever user can make a system
> where the initial user emails are stored in the cloud or somewhere and
> an automated list of those new topics is emailed to all users, but no
> other emails.
>
> Another (more practical) solution?
>
> When people say "too many emails" they usually mean too many emails from
> a list mixed in with all their other emails coming into their inbox.
>
> So if instead they had the emails from this list (or  similar lists)
> immediately going off into a folder all by themselves, with the folder
> set with a retention period so they would eventually go away unless you
> marked them "retain", wouldn't be such a problem, yes? << they wouldn't
> be interfering with your other emails >>
>
> If you don't have that set up, you haven't yet learned how to use your
> email client. I can't tell you exactly how since I don't know what email
> client you are using. But T'Bird users who need help with this could
> contact me offline about how to use "message filters". In this
> household, maybe 100 emails coming in per day. But all but a handful
> automatically sorted into appropriate folders.

If one has shell access to the mail server (probably unlikely) and the mail
server is running Linux (probably likely) and the user's mail client is using
IMap (not uncommon), then procmail can do this directly on the server. I know,
this is a fairly unlikely combination, but... (*I* use procmail on my mail
server to do various E-Mail flitering and pre-processing.)

> Michael

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933