Can't delete Imbalance account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 20:46:23 EST 2015

Mike,
I don't understand your rationale in this situation. There is no need to use imbalance while you determine the account, since you can create a new account directly from the register while entering a transaction. As Liz notes, the account can be renamed and relocated later on.
Personally, I keep the imbalance account, and even keep it open all the time. Most of the time, transactions end up there if I do an import and they don't have appropriate account mappings. I use the imbalance account to show me what still needs my attention.
David

  On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 17:11, Mike or Penny Novack<mpnovack at mtdata.com> wrote:   On 12/17/2015 11:02 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:
> Isn’t the conventional way of dealing with this to set up an account
> called Expenses:Suspense? To me, the implication of an Orphaned or
> Imbalanced entry is that there’s been an error in the entry of data,
> rather than a deferred decision on the proper account for the posting
> of a transaction. Michael (another one!).

A "suspense" account is indeed traditional, but I have never seen one on
the expense side. I'll come back to that later.

"Suspense" isn't for items where you know what the account should be
(but no such account exists). It's an account usually on the income side
where money arrives but you don't know what for.  Most businesses don't
leave such checks sitting around undeposited, so deposit with the other
side of the transaction being "suspense" and then it is somebody's job
to investigate and resolve all items in suspense.
An example (for my organization) say a check arrived for $50 with no
indication what for. Was that a donation?  Was that for the sale of two
books? Was that for the sale of two tee shirts and the giving of a third
shirt to a volunteer?

The equivalent on the expense side would be say an invoice arrived from
an unknown vendor for something you don't know was an authorized
purchase. Or in my case, somebody is submitting a request for
reimbursement, maybe they just tell me the amount and where purchased
but forgot to specify what this was (and unclear from receipt). You
don't need a "suspense" account for that because in THAT situation you
didn't cut the check. You would investigate first (or at least I would).
I would send that person an email "You submitted a request for
reimbursement for a purchase on xx/yy/zz from xyz. What WAS that?" I
wouldn't simply send them a reimbursement assuming that it was an
authorized purchase.

BTW, that is a not unusual situation for me. I most cases I can tell
from the receipt (and simply cut the reimbursement check and enter the
transaction) but in other cases I can't tell. And at least one or two
times when there have been many items on the receipt, the person said
"oops, the abc item was for me personally, strike from the total".

Michael