Backup and recovery

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:27:10 EST 2015

On 19 December 2015 at 18:27, Alaric <um.167 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I do not use Gnucash for backups.  I back up my home directory which
> contains all data files including emails using a backup system based on
> rsync.  I have tried recovery from the backup on an external hard drive,
> from cds and from an old hard disk still installed in the computer.  If they
> work I have an empty file.  Mostly they return an error message that there
> is no suitable backend.  That is a Gnucash error message.
>
> I don't follow the comment about the filename.  When I set up the account I
> saved it with a filename like AWW15.  It has no suffix because that is the
> way Gnucash saved it.

In the same folder where the file AWW15 is you should find files like
AWW15.20151205123452.gnucash (no .log on the end).  Those are the
previous accounts files.

If you have all those backups on various media can you not just go
back to one that worked previously?  You said you had done this
several times recently.  I presume you have restored the same or later
version of gnucash when you re-installed your operating system.

Colin