OFX Viewer?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 08:57:42 EST 2015

On 2/7/2015 8:16 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using GnuCash 2.6.3 on a Win7 64.
>
> I've been importing transactions from my bank's downloaded OFX files one
> month at a time.  After I import, I go through the records and assign the
> right accounts, etc.  It's been going very well until I got to December
> 2014.  The GnuCash import dialog showed 6 transactions to be imported, so I
> clicked OK and now I can't find the transactions in GnuCash.  If I open the
> OFX file again, the import dialog doesn't show any transactions because
> they've all been imported.
>
> Does GnuCash have a way to let me view the content of an OFX file?  Or,
> maybe someone can suggest an OFX viewer?  I figure if I can view the list
> of transactions, I can get a better idea of where to find them in the
> ledger.
>
> ​It doesn't seem like a good feature that GnuCash prevents the user from
> seeing the content of a file if it's already been imported.  I mean, I get
> it, but there must be a better way to handle already-imported-transactions
> than to simply not show them, eh?​
>
> Perhaps they could appear in the import dialog with all of the text
> stippled out or some such.  I.e. We're here, but you can't do anything with
> us because you've already imported us.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg

Greg,

If you have your bank statements handy then you can compare the register
with the bank statements.  Since you only had 6 transactions in
December, the balances should match frequently when there are no
outstanding checks, for example.

When you are importing the transactions are assigned a status 'C' so
they will initially be in one of the columns on the reconcile page while
reconciling.  If you have not reconciled that account yet the lists may
be pretty long and you should try an early statement date first then
work up to December.

Sometimes the OFX importer will see transactions with similar amounts
and mis-match them to incorrect existing transactions.  If that happens
there is no easy fix.   You can manually enter the transaction that was
not imported.  If you have become comfortable with reading and editing
the OFX files, then you can change the unique transaction identification
number <FITID> for the transactions that you want to re-import to
different unique values that follow the pattern that the financial
institution has been using but will not appear in the future.  Then
import the edited file.

It is critical to find and correct those mis-matches during the import
to avoid this.  If I am not sure, I check the 'A' box for that
transaction so I can check later to see if it really is a duplicate.  I
frequently have ATM withdrawals for the same amount on different dates,
so this happens to me too often.

David C