Automatically reconcile interest charges

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Wed Feb 11 16:19:56 EST 2015

On 2015-02-11 07:15, Mark Phillips wrote:
> On the one hand, having the interest charge automatically cleared saves a
> mouse click. On the other hand, I appreciate the concept that there is only
> one place a transaction can be cleared, and that is the reconciliation
> window. I sometimes have over a hundred transactions in a month to clear (I
> don't download from the bank, I do it manually from the statement), and I
> have never had an issue finding that interest entry and clearing it with
> one mouse click. Maybe an option in the settings to allow automatic
> clearing of the interest charge?

I would be perfectly fine with an option to turn this on or off.  The
initial question was to find out if such an option already existed
within the program.

> This tread has reminded me of a small issue I have had with interest
> charges. I seem to remember that if I start a reconciliation (say a savings
> account), enter the interest and then check off a few items in the
> reconciliation window, and then cancel the whole reconciliation process,
> the interest charge is not removed. When I come back to reconcile the
> account again, I get the same dialog to enter the interest charge for the
> month (still blank), so now I have two interest charges for that month. It
> is no big deal, as deleting the extra interest charge from the
> reconciliation window is very easy. However, automatically marking the
> charge as cleared will create several scary warnings when you try to delete
> the duplicate charge. New users will probably freak out, which will spur a
> large number of messages to the list....;)

I've done this a couple times.  Clicking cancel in the Interest Charge
window never generates another transaction in my case so I don't worry
about it.