Canadian GnuCash user

W Pawlowski pawlowski.w at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:58:02 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

I am new to accounting and new to GnuCash so right now I am going through
accounting books to catch up but also hope that this group can help me get
up to speed. I am in Ontario, Canada and I am registered for HST.

I have questions regarding purchasing parts which are then resold to my
customers. How do I enter that into book keeping?
I have opened new expense account - Parts Bought.
I have also opened new liability accounts: HST Payable, HST Paid, HST Owing
for tracking my HST obligations.
I have just bought part, paid for it with cc, so I entered split
transaction:
Expenses:Parts Bought $2614.82
Liabilities:Credit Card $2314.00
Liabilities:HST:HST Paid $300.82
It seems to be OK, but the balance on my credit card seems to be on the
positive side, is that normal? Or what am I doing wrong?

At the moment I am using invoices which I have designed in Spreadsheet, is
there a way to bring them into Gnu Cash or do I have to design new invoice
in Gnu Cash and how do I do that?

What ever invoices I sent out I enter them into Income:Sales as split
transaction, Assets:Accounts Receivable - the subtotal or parts and service
charges and Liabilities:HST:HST Payable - the hst portion of the bill, is
this correct?
Now how do I mark which invoice has been paid? I know I make the deposit to
the chequing and subtract from Accounts receivable but how do I mark that
company A paid their invoice and company B is still outstanding?

Obviously the bank fees will go into Expenses:Bank Service Charge, the
question is do they contain HST portion as well so they should be entered
as a split transaction (which I assume is the case) or do I enter them
without any HST component?

Thanks for all your help, I know it is long road ahead but I guess everyone
needs to start somewhere.