Stock

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Feb 14 09:14:23 EST 2015

On 2/14/2015 12:57 AM, Jill Terry wrote:
> Thanks folks.  Seeing "Stock" in the menu I though perhaps it could.
> That's a shame, I was really hoping to move my business over to GnuCash.
>
> Jill
Words that have more than one meaning can always cause this kind of
confusion. The "stock" in this case meaning "equities" (shares of a
corporation) as opposed to "inventory".

A complete business system can involve MUCH more than just the
accounting package. Depending on the sort of business might be packages
that do "inventory", "point of sales", "billable hours" (both externally
as charged to clients and internally tracking the work of associates),
etc. The complete business system, often sold customized to the sort of
business would have something to integrate these different kins of
record keeping with the accounting part. In large business systems these
would be by "feeds" (in a large business system, those using it only can
access the portions within their authorization*).

AFAIK there aren't any open source projects either trying to construct
such integrated systems, possibly by combining the work of separate
teams doing this or that part. This would be a difficult project for
open source as in the other "world" development usually driven by
potential customer (enough that would buy this set of packages to pay
for the development -- if the needs of your sort of business needs
something else, too bad)

Michael D Novack, FLMI

* For example, the clerk at the checkout line is entering data into a
"point of sales" system but you would NOT want that clerk to be doing
the same to the financial books!