change the Imbalance-USD account behavior

gorth go-durak at mail.ru
Sun Jan 4 19:13:02 EST 2015

obviously there are a lot of [strong] opinions on what may appear to be a
minor issue. I don't think anybody reflected the software engineering
viewpoint. As a professional programmer my experience shows that when there
are a lot of ways to handle an error or a "warning" - in this case, you have
an incomplete journal entry until DR's equal CR's - the better programmer
should provide options for the user. Personally I find the auto-entry of
Imbalance or Orphan a pain, as I usually need to rapidly switch between an
excel or text file to get the account or amount, and Gnucash is very (too)
sensitive and often the entry has Imbalance/Orphan lines, even multiple
ones. I would like to see a "peg as open" button button/icon to leave it in
an "open" state and it amazes me that this was not done.

the default action, putting the balance to some account (call it whatever),
is a tolerable stop-gap solution. I am thinking about writing an adjunct
sub-program that would go thru the journal entries and clean them up,
deleting Imbalance/Orphan journal entry lines with zero balances as they
serve absolutely no purpose except to show where the user/accountant had a
frustrating time with this software program.

As a C++ guy I can do this.. ideally if I could find a client to finance the
project...