New to GnuCash

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 15:57:21 EST 2015

JJ,

Welcome. As a longtime fellow user, I will offer you a little information, but I hope that others with experience in the other areas can step in.

With regard to importing in general, if your institution offers QIF or OFX export, you will be a happier person. Those import functions (which I use a lot) work pretty well. I do not wrestle with CSV import; my transaction load is light enough that it quickly becomes easier just to enter the transactions manually. Perhaps others can help you with this.

With regard to the question about Mutual Fund (and stocks, for that matter) price tracking, GnuCash does not emphasize this. My understanding (and I am sure that my comments will cause others to jump in to correct my understanding) is that GnuCash aims to be a traditional double-entry accounting system, and the developers take the (as I understand it) accountants' viewpoint that the software needs to track the held asset, and not necessarily its fluctuating value. Thus, the toolset for gathering and tracking an asset's unrealized loss or gain is somewhat limited.

It is possible to create a script in your operating system to systematically retrieve quotes on a regular basis (see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes), but that won't get you historical prices. You might want to look at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/get_prices, although this involves a bit of action on your part.

Cheers,
David