Vendor owed $0.00 Show Up in Payable Ageing

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jan 20 06:56:28 EST 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 19:28:15 Jason Fox wrote:
> I've got a problem where a vendor, all of whose invoices have been
> paid, is showing up in the Payable Ageing report showing $0.00
> balances.  I also have one employee with the same issue.  Where would
> I start looking to try and resolve the problem?  I do not feel there
> is an accounting issue.  Running Ubuntu 14.04 and gnucash 2.6.1.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> -- jason

This can happen if a vendor's bill has lost the connection with its payment(s). The most
common way to get into this situation is after unposting a bill and reposting it.

The behavior of gnucash has changed as of 2.6.0 in this respect. In prior versions gnucash
would automatically re-assign payments to the bill when reposting even if this was no longer
valid from an accounting point of view.

Gnucash 2.6 and onward now take a more (and likely too) prudent approach and will not
automatically assign a payment to a bill when reposting. You have to manually do this from now
on.

The most straightforward way to do so is to
- Open Business->Vendor->Process Payment...
- Select the vendor
- This will update the list of unpaid bills and unused pre-payments
- Select the bill and associated payments
- Adjust the other parameters if necessary and hit ok

As a side note I would strongly suggest to update to a more recent version of gnucash (2.6.5 is
current). This code still had several bugs in the earlier 2.6.x versions. You may even not be able
to follow the steps described above in 2.6.1 due to some of these bugs.

It's a pity Ubuntu refuses to update gnucash on 14.04 to the most recent bugfix release. The
way to get a newer version is via GetDeb.

Regards,

Geert