Change to the Advanced Portfolio report

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:15:56 EST 2015

--On January 20, 2015 at 1:45:25 PM -0600 David Carlson
<david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, your suggestion brings up the point that the QIF or OFX
> importer would need to differentiate between many similar investment
> transactions in the same file that should be allocated to different
> sub-accounts.  Can that part of the process work automatically or
> would it be necessary to manually fine tune each of those 30 or 40
> sub-transactions to the correct sub-accounts each time.  I have not
> even tried importing investment transactions in several years because
> GnuCash used to fail miserably with them.

I don't know exactly how your accounts are set up or what your
custodian provides, but it works for me with TIAA/CREF.  I have my
GnuCash accounts set up with a separate asset account for each separate
TIAA/CREF account (403B, 401A, 403B Supplemental, etc.) and under each
I have an account for each fund in that particular account.  When I
import the QFX file, it creates transactions between the appropriate
asset account and fund account.  I still need to enter income
transactions to cover the withdrawals from the asset account for
reinvestment transactions, but this isn't too cumbersome.  The hard
part is done automatically.

                  Mike