No suitable backend found

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Jul 4 11:32:06 EDT 2015

On Saturday 04 July 2015 16:08:07 Chris Brittain wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to 2.6.7 on Win 7 and had six different
> accounts before upgrade all available through the file dropdown.
> Since upgrade I just have two. I have tried to open via the books/
> "file".gnucash.gcm but just get message "no suitable backend found"
> can you help??

The files with extension .gcm in the books directory are not your
account files. They merely store some metadata like which tabs were open
the last time you closed gnucash.

The actual books are where you chose to store them when you initially
created and saved them. That's just like other applications such as Word
work.

The file dropdown on the other hand maintains a list of the most
recently used files (again like many applications do). If the entries in
this list don't work anymore that can be because

1. you have moved/deleted the original files
2. they are using a backend that is no longer installed

So some relevant questions:

a. where did you originally save the account files you are now missing ?
b. what file format did you use to save them ? Sqlite, xml, postgresql,
mysql ?

Regards,

Geert