Advanced Portfolio problems

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Jul 15 22:50:29 EDT 2015

--On July 16, 2015 at 2:03:49 PM +1200 dunbrokin <dunbrokin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The price of 1 US$ in NZ$ (according to the Price Editor...which has
> given the correct price for the last 3 years and has only recently,
> as in the last 2 months...I have changed nothing.... starting giving
> it in the reverse way) in 1.4932 as above. Perhaps it will be clearer
> from the attached screenshots.

The basis of BBBY in the report is NZ$45,750.15, not NZ$35,982.40.
That is the current value, not the basis.

The price shown in the report is the current price, not the basis
price.  Since 523*68.80 is 35982.40 it appears that the report is using
an exchange rate of 1 for USD vs. NZD.  The report doesn't show the
purchase price or prices of BBBY that were used to calculate the basis,
but I suspect that they average around USD87.40.  The question then
becomes a matter of where did it find the bogus exchange rate of 1.
What other entries are there in the price data base for the price of
USD in NZD?  Did you somehow get an entry of 1 in there somehow?  What
is the date of the report and what price source is selected in the
report options.

If there aren't too many of them, list the purchase and sales of BBBY
that go into calculating the basis and let me know what basis
calculation method you used.

I have a test file that is essentially the same as this case and it
works fine.  I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with
the report.

         Mike