Corrupted reconciliation cannot be fixed?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 19 19:39:01 EDT 2015

Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> writes:

> On 2015-07-17 22:31, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> The reconcile dialog isn’t modal and live-updates. When I find that
>> I missed posting something I just switch back to the register and
>> create the transaction, then switch back to the reconcile dialog
>> and reconcile it.
>
> I tried that. but it did not work.  I noticed the problem when I
> started the April reconciliation and wanted go back to the March
> reconciliation to correct it.  I exited the April reconciliation using
> "postpone" option rather than "cancel".  The March reconciliation was
> consequently locked in, with the "forever" result I described.

AH, well this is your issue -- you cannot "go back in time".
Reconciliation is always from "the beginning of time" to "now".  If
you're working on April, that means, by definition, that March is
correct.

> That was the reason for my suggestion always to use "cancel" rather
> than "postpone" to create or change transactions in the register
> during the reconciliation process.  That way the previous
> reconciliation can be changed if necessary.  The only disadvantage to
> using "cancel" is that the check offs all have to be done over again
> -- a minor inconvenience in view of the situation created by using
> "postpone" instead as described in my original post.

Honestly I've never used "postpone", but I still would not expect to
return to a previous month even with postpone, because when you continue
it would try to continue the current month, not the previous month.

Having said all that, you didn't say (or I missed) how the reconcilation
"broke".