best way to model individual+joint expenses in Gnucash?

Tracey tclark77 at tlcnet.info
Sat Jun 6 16:42:07 EDT 2015

I'm in a similar situation as James, having to keep track of a joint
checking account and joint expenses for my boyfriend and myself. I'm
hoping to see some advice on best practices as well, as I've not yet
come up with an easy or elegant way of setting up accounts to track this.

Wm - It was difficult to separate your replies from the original text.
It seems that when you composed your message the reply formatting was lost.

What I did see was disappointing. Insulting James and his lifestyle was
uncalled for. He didn't ask for, and doesn't need relationship advice.
>From my own research on the web, there are plenty of people who have a
spouse or roommate, with a joint checking account to pay bills out of
who have asked the same kinds of questions.

When we help each other politely, we all benefit.

On 5/15/2015 5:42 PM, Wm wrote:

> So, I had to solve a problem: how to ensure my joint spending and her
> joint spending stays roughly the same?

(Wu said)
> there is no need, actually

Yes, there is. I'll be watching this thread for useful advice.

These comments were just unnecessary.

(Wm said)
> Uh oh, we have seen this before, have you created a Wife:Sex:Monday
> account yet?

> Have you considered which of you uses the toilet more often?  This is
> really important for the
> Expenses:Toilet:Wife account
> OR SHOULD IT BE
> Expenses:Wife:Toilet