Crash with transaction report

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:05:46 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Richard Dawson <rcdawson at att.net> wrote:

> On 06/18/2015 09:28 AM, Derrick Hudson wrote:

> > | I performed the following checks to follow up on your suggestion:
> > |
> > |      rcdawson at Bestbox:~ > cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list
> > |      # deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb apps
> >

> > The # character at the beginning of the line means the entire line is a
> "comment", and so is ignored.
> >
> > -Derrick
> >

> Thank you all.  Removing the "#" solved the final problem.
>
> Now one last question.  I think what I have done is add the deb
> repository to my list of sources.  Does that mean that updates to any of
> the programs that I have that happen to be in the dep repository will
> use that repository in preference to whatever repository Mint had
> installed?
>
> Referring to the system's source configuration I find information that
> only confuses me more!  Should I ask this question on  Mint forum?
>
> Thanks, Richard

The apt package management system is complex. It reads the sources lists,
goes to each of the repositories, examines all of their contents and
determines the "best" combination of software suitable to the particular
set of packages installed on your particular system.

SO adding a repository like the one at GetDeb.net is not LIKELY to affect
the "Mint-only" packages in the Mint repositories, but it would happen if
GetDeb contains a newer version of the SAME package.

One thing you might do to avoid trouble is activate the GetDeb repository,
use a package manager like Synaptic to install ONLY the packages you want
(in this case the GnuCash packages), and then deactivate the GetDeb
repository again. and leave it inactive until you know there's an update to
GnuCash available. I'm not sure about Mint but in Ubuntu you can activate
and deactivate sources using a checkbox in the Sources tool. Otherwise you
can edit the files like before and add or remove the hash (#) from the
front of the line.

There is a more sophisticated way to instruct apt to prioritize packages
from multiple sources automatically using a technique called "apt pinning."
(It's a way to set priorities.) But I would venture to say the vast
majority of apt users never attempt it.

If you want to learn more I suggest some Internet searches. You will want
to focus on the information at Mint, Ubuntu or Debian web sites. (Debian is
the "mother" distro, Ubuntu is a "child" distro of Debian, and Mint is a
"child" of Ubuntu.) All of those distros use the apt package management
system. You may recognize ".deb" package files that you can download, and
that apt automatically downloads on your system to /var/cache/apt/archives