Cloning Accounts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jun 20 10:07:42 EDT 2015

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 6:30 AM, Pedro Albuquerque <palbuquerque73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
> my name is Pedro and this my first post. I'm not an accountant, just a
> guy trying to set his finances straight! :-)
>
> I started using GnuCash quite recently and just finished creating a
> basic account hierarchy, in which there is a top expense account called
> "Vehicles".
> The idea is to create a sub-account for each vehicle, with it's
> corresponding categories of expenses.
> Once this is done, is there a way to clone that sub-account to use with
> a different vehicle? Or any other asset, anyway?
>
> Another question, I'm getting this error. It happens on menu Reports ->
> first option (?Assets & Liabilities?) -> third option from bottom
> (?Accounts Hierarchy?).
> Sorry, but I'm not sure of the exact terms in English, and the software
> is only partially translated.
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> I used a Dropbox link because I don't know if this list strips
> attachments. Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro.

No, there’s no account clone or copy, but it’s only a few keystrokes (or mouse clicks) and a line of typing to create a new account, and you’d have to type the line (the new account name) even if you could copy the account.

The list does strip attachments, but you forgot the link. In the Spanish translation the third report from the bottom is Libro Diario, which in English is General Ledger. It should list all of the transactions in the selected accounts during the selected period, but you must first have transactions to report, then using the report options (in the toolbar, but perhaps not visible if your window is too small — there’s a button on the far right to show the toolbar items that don’t fit) select accounts and perhaps adjust the period. Was that the problem? You forgot the link.

Regards,
John Ralls