lock files are not getting deleted

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:55:38 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 5:21 PM, scar <scar at drigon.com> wrote:

> i've updated my system to ubuntu 14.04 and, with that, gnucash has
> unfortunately been updated.  i hate these forced updates, because
> everything was working fine before.  gnucash is now version 2.6.1, built
> from rev 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19.
>
> everytime i open gnucash i receive the error "GnuCash could not obtain
> the lock" for my books.  usually when i got this message it was because
> gnucash wasn't shut down properly or something--either way, the lock
> file issue was resolved next time i opened my books.  however, now it
> seems the lock files are never cleared out even when i quit gnucash
> normally, so now i am receiving this error every time i start gnucash.
> in addition, the width of my columns never gets saved and i am
> constantly having to re-adjust the width of columns just so i can read
> things properly....

I believe the problem is GnuCash is crashing before it quits, and you are
not seeing the crash report dialog. (I believe Ubuntu allows you to enable
or disable the bug reporter.) You can confirm the crash by opening a
terminal, typing gnucash (followed by the Enter key) and watching what
happens when you close the GnuCash application. You will probably see a few
non-serious messages when you open the application, but a serious crash
message involving Python when you quit it.

I believe the easy workaround for the GnuCash 2.6.1 crash in Ubuntu is to
install the python-gnucash package. (Open the Software Center and type
python-gnucash in the search field. Install the package.) With that
package, GnuCash should no longer crash when closing.

HOWEVER there are quite a few other serious bugs in GnuCash 2.6.1, so you
would be better served by upgrading to a more recent version. There's a
brand-new version 2.6.7, but version 2.6.6. or just about any version after
the one you have will be better.

For upgrade methods, see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Many people find the GetDeb version the easiest way to upgrade GnuCash in
Ubuntu. As of this moment, GetDeb contains GnuCash 2.6.6 for Ubuntu 14.04.